The School library is on the 1st floor and has a group study area, a media area for audio and visual resources, a comfortable reading classroom area.
Our Secondary School Library is a one stop shop offering our school community an opportunity to catch up on reading or private study or research and we provide the facilities from 7:30am – 12:30pm.
The aims of THSSS Library and Information Services are:
- To provide a service which supports the educational policies and programmes at THSSS.
- To provide a balanced collection of resources, which have been developed with consideration for the interests, ability and individual needs of the users.
- To provide effective management of resources and materials to enable users to have ready access.
- To work with others to promote the notion of reading as an enjoyable recreational activity.
- To support the curriculum, personal and recreational needs of the school community.
- To provide an attractive, comfortable working environment for users.
Library Resources Development and Management
The Head of Libraries is responsible for the purchase, classification, storage and availability of library resources. The staff along with the subject teachers regularly conducts curriculum reviews with the aim of providing our students with up-to-date learning materials that are relevant, unbiased and appropriate in terms of content and reading level.
Curriculum review, stock review and input from the teaching staff inform the ordering and purchasing process, so that appropriate resources can be acquired for each Key Stage. As modern resource centres, the libraries ensure that both print media (books, periodicals, newspapers, vertical files) and electronic media (recommended websites, online databases) are made available to students and teachers. The Library has more than 14,000 books in stock. new additions are made at regular interval.
The library is to assist students, teachers and parents. The library staff select library materials with care and recognize the many customs and viewpoints of our very diverse school population. We aim to offer a professional and caring service and hope to provide materials that are appropriate to the needs of individual students.
The Librarian liaises with year leaders and class teachers in the Primary School to deliver Information on improving and updating the library. This program includes a comprehensive list of learning outcomes and skills that can be developed to enable students to become active, independent learners who are capable of locating and using information effectively. These skills relate to all areas of the curriculum and reinforce the process of information retrieval.
These skills are practiced and developed further in the Secondary School, where the Head of Libraries and the Senior Teachers are available to work collaboratively with newly appointed teachers and students in order to improve it in a better way.